Juba, July 20, 2018 (SSNA) — South Sudan’s government will never accept peace unless the international does something to stop Ugandan and Egyptian governments, a senior government official says.
In an exclusive interview, a senior government official at the ministry of foreign affairs who requested anonymity for fear of reprisal told the South Sudan News Agency on Friday that Juba is not ready for peace and that Kiir’s vow to form a new government is not true.
“Frankly, we in the TGoNU are not ready to fully accept peace. The recent call by the president that he is ready to form a transitional government for all is not what we have in our minds,” the official told the South Sudan News Agency in Juba.
“We will only accept peace if Ugandan and Egyptian governments stop supporting us. This is a known issue here in the capital,” the official declared.
The official also disclosed that the government will only accept peace if the international community intensifies pressure on Kiir but warned that Kiir will create obstacles to impede peace implementation.
“There will be a repeat of the July 2016 situation, unless peace mediators put strong safeguards in place. Kiir prefers to work with Taban, not Riek,” he said.
The official states that he decided to talk to the media because his government does not want peace to return to the country. The official also accuse current FVP Taban Deng Gai and the Jieng Council of Elders (JCE) of working hard to prolong the conflict.
South Sudanese rebels have consistently accused Uganda and Egypt of supplying South Sudan’s government with weapons and ammunition.
The UN Security Council imposed an arms embargo on South Sudan last week, banning weapons sale to the war-ravaged young nation. The UN said it imposed the embargo because South Sudanese leaders failed to stop the war.