New York/Juba, May 31, 2016 (SSNA) — The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) today voted to renew sanctions against individuals it deems to be a threat to peace implementation, adding that all parties to the conflict must implement the August 2015 pact.
In the meeting, the community of nations voted to renew punitive measures it imposed on the young nation last year.
The sanctions, which are designed to target individuals the UN believes obstruct or interfere in impeding the implementation of peace, are extended for one year.
One South Sudan’s political analyst who declines to be named in the report told the SSNA in Kenyan capital, Nairobi, on Tuesday that latest move by the Security Council is a clear signal to South Sudanese rival leaders and that the council members are united to bring peace in South Sudan and any party or individual opposing against the peace will be dealt with.
“Riek Machar and Salva Kiir should go ahead and comply with the deal. There is no game around this or else anyone who plays game will regret it,” the source said.
“It will be a mistake for any of the two leaders [Kiir and Machar] to think that they are smarter than the UNSC,” he continues.
Transcripts from the meeting reveal that South Sudan’s Ambassador to UN, Joseph Moum Malok, was furious at the council members, arguing that his country is capable of running its own affairs and that the UNSC fails to recognize South Sudan’s rights to govern itself.
A United Nations diplomatic source told the South Sudan News Agency (SSNA) that Ambassador Malok was visible angry and that council members were not interested in his views.